Under general supervision, is responsible for various functions of the accounting process, with a focus on Accounts Receivable (A/R) and time entry collection. Trains under senior staff accountant, and is expected to be very communicative regarding status of assignments, general monthly activities, etc. Using established procedures, analyzes departmental fiscal data, programs and operations. Applies fundamental accounting concepts to enter data, make necessary corrections, and ensure overall reconciliation of the general ledger.
Communicates on a daily basis with both internal and external “customers” of the accounting department, in a professional manner and on a timely basis.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ability to assume full responsibility for Accounts Receivable processes within 3 months
- Checks timesheets against screenshots, responsible for ensuring timesheets are submitted and accurate on a semi-monthly basis
- Completes ad-hoc assignments
- Carries out daily accounting activities geared toward support of month-end close. Ensures transactions are logged in company accounting system on a scheduled basis, with no discrepancies
- Investigates reconciliation errors and discrepancies in order to identify the error source and carry out solution
- Assists with fulfilling ad-hoc requests for data and/or reports in support of corporate and program operations
- Establishes documented procedures and step-by-step guides for undocumented accounting procedures, with the goal of creating a company handbook
- Provides assistance to representatives of assigned departments in response to accounting or finance related requests, including procuring necessary documentation or investigating historical data
- Provides technical assistance to assigned departments on accounting related issues in current or proposed programs.
- Utilizes various computer financial information systems in the preparation of analyses, evaluation and reports relating to assigned areas
- Assists with tax and audit related company submissions throughout the year, by compiling data, filling in spreadsheets, etc.
- Responds to end users and accounting department “customers” in a timely and professional manner regarding any accounting system related inquiries
- Corresponds with external vendors and customers as needed, in order to acquire missing data or correct errors