VariQ has an exciting opportunity for a highly qualified Database Administrator to support the USPS contract in Washington, DC.
Description: Our client is seeking a Database Administrator who will manage all aspects of underlying databases for the IVS production systems. Directly supports development aspects of the IVS custom applications at their facility located in Washington, DC.
1. Onsite DBA with deep knowledge and experience in SQL Server
2. Assess the current DB environment and practices
3. Develop DB related recommendations for OFS IT leadership
4. Formulate DB related requirements for OFS that can be communicated to the central Treasury IT organization
5. Provide support and guidance to the DB developers and to the DB operations teams
6. Review and provide input for capacity and performance plans
7. Support the Business Intelligence platform
8. Knowledge of how to build database schema, tables, procedures and permissions
9. Set up of new data sharing and disk partitioning
10. Knowledge of creating PowerShell scripts for task automation as needed
11. Sustain capacity and performance requirements
12. Analyze, consolidate and provide recommendations for tuning the database for optimal efficiency
13. Monitor systems and platforms for availability
14. Verify backups
15. Restore and recover corrupted databases
16. Support (Periodic and Scheduled) for non-business-hour shift rotation
17. Identify risks and issues surrounding the OFS IT infrastructure and operating environment while developing and executing mitigation plans and resolutions
Database Skills, Experience, or Special Training Required:
• Support all aspects of maintaining a SQL 2008 environment
• MS Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 OS
• Knowledge of applying and troubleshooting OS/application patches and updates.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze logs for troubleshooting purposes
o Server event/security/application logs
o Resource monitoring
o Specific application logs (i.e. SharePoint)
• PowerShell scripting for Windows
• Solid understanding of core Microsoft technologies including:
o Clustering and backups/restores
o Knowledge of DNS and DHCP
o IIS 6/7.0
• Core Microsoft technologies including:
o SQL Server 2008, with and without clustering, and backups/restores
• Achieved MCITP, MCSA, or MCTS in Windows 2008/2008 R2 and any related MS certifications
• Pass both a client mandated clearance process to include drug screening, criminal history check and credit check.
• Once candidate’s resume is approved and interview passed, the agency is responsible for providing drug screening. Failure to submit the drug screening results will delay the security clearance process.
• If a candidate is given an interim clearance, continuation of employment is then based on the candidate receiving a sensitive clearance.
• All candidates must be a US Citizen, or have a permanent residence status (Green Card).
• Candidate must have lived in the United States for the past five years.
• Cannot have more than 6 months travel outside the United States within the last five years. Military Service excluded. (Exception does not include military family members.)
VariQ is an equal opportunity employer.